INFORMATION FOR PARENTS
Alpha Epsilon Pi is one of the premier fraternities in the United States and Internationally with other chapters in the UK, Israel, and Canada. Members of AEPi are given extremely valuable benefits socially, mentally, and spiritually. In addition, AEPi has an extensive alumni network whose members serve as valuable networking contacts in the job search. Many fraternities are unfairly stereotyped as being social clubs, which haze and maintain the exclusive goal of alcohol consumption. We can assure you that this is simply not true. We welcome you to visit the house, talk to the brothers, and see for yourself. And, of course, we pledge that hazing will never be a part of our fraternity – it is against national policy and forbidden by our chapter constitution. If that’s not enough, we are more than willing to put you in touch with alumni or parents of current brothers who, in many cases, will tell you that joining AEPi was the best decision their son has made in college.
RISK MANAGEMENT POLICY
The Risk Management Policy of the Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity, Inc. includes the provisions which follow and shall apply to all entities and all levels of fraternity membership.
ALCOHOL AND DRUGS
- The possession, sale, use or consumption of ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES while on chapter premises, or during a fraternity event, in any situation sponsored or endorsed by the chapter, or in any event an observer would associate with the fraternity, must be in compliance with any and all applicable laws of the state, province, county, city, institution of higher education, and must comply with either the BYOB or Third Party Vendor Guidelines.
- No alcoholic beverages may be purchased through chapter funds nor may the purchase of same for members or guests be undertaken or coordinated by any member in the name of or on behalf of the chapter. THE PURCHASE OR USE OF A BULK QUANTITY OR COMMON SOURCES OF SUCH ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE, I.E., KEGS, CASES, TRASH CAN PUNCH, ETC.. IS PROHIBITED.
- OPEN PARTIES, meaning those with unrestricted access by non-members of the fraternity without specific invitation, where alcohol is present, shall be prohibited.
- No Members, collectively or individually, shall purchase for, serve to, or sell alcoholic beverages to any minor (those under the legal drinking age).
- The possession, sale or use of any ILLEGAL DRUGS or CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES while on chapter premises or during a fraternity event, or at any event that an observer would associate with the fraternity, is strictly prohibited.
- No chapter may co-sponsor an event with a distributor of alcohol, charitable organization or tavern (tavern defined as an establishment generating more than half of annual gross sales from alcohol) where alcohol is given away, sold, or otherwise provided to those present.
- No chapter may co-sponsor or co-finance a function where alcohol is purchased by any of the host chapters, groups, or organizations.
- All rush activities associated with any chapter will be DRY rush functions.
- No member shall permit, tolerate, encourage or participate in drinking games.
- No alcohol shall be present at any pledge/associate member/novice program activity or ritual of the chapter.
No chapter, colony, student or alumnus shall conduct nor condone hazing activities. Hazing activities are those defined as:
“Any action taken or situation created, intentionally, whether on or off fraternity premises, to produce mental or physical discomfort, embarrassment, harassment or ridicule. Such activities may include but are not limited to the following: use of alcohol; paddling in any form; creation of excessive fatigue; physical and psychological shocks; quests, treasure hunts, scavenger hunts, road trips or any such activities carried on outside or inside the confines of the chapter house; wearing of public apparel which is conspicuous and not normally in good taste; engaging in public stunts and buffoonery; morally degrading or humiliating games and activities; and any other activities which are not consistent with academic achievement, fraternal law, ritual or policy or the regulations and policies of the educational institution, or applicable state law.”
The fraternity will not tolerate or condone any form of sexually abusive behavior on the part of its members, whether physical, mental or emotional. This is to include any actions which are demeaning to women and men, including but not limited to, date rape, gang rape or verbal harassment.
FIRE, HEALTH AND SAFETY
- All chapter houses should meet all local fire and health codes and standards.
- All chapters should have posted by common phones emergency numbers for fire, police and ambulance and should have evacuation routes from chapter houses, common areas and sleeping rooms posted in said areas and on the back door of each sleeping room.
- All chapters should comply with engineering recommendations as reported by the insurance company.
- The possession and/or use of firearms or explosive devices of any kind within the confines and premises of the chapter house is expressly forbidden.
Alpha Epsilon Pi should annually educate its students and alumni in the Risk Management Policy of the Fraternity. Additionally, all students, new members and key alumni volunteers shall annually be sent a copy of said Risk Management Policy.